It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Saturday, June 17, 2006

An inconvienent truth

"Three Balls" 18x24

This blog is about art, specifically about my process of making art. So ever since I saw "An Inconvient Truth" at the movie theatre last night, I've been thinking about how it relates to my art, and thus how I could talk about it here.

I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. I give a lecture on global warming every semester to my students, and I use a lot of the same material that's presented by Al Gore in the movie. But the film is really about passion, about having a commitment to an idea and pursuing it against the silence of complaisance and ignorance. I don't think my art is going to change the lives of millions. But I do think that what I do is important, because the process of making art is my way of bearing witness to the landscape. And lord knows, that landscape is gonna change.

If you haven't seen the film, you should. If you think global warming isn't a big deal or you think there's nothing you can do, you really should see the film, regardless of what you think of Gore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home