It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Monday, May 15, 2006

Frame up


It must be in the air. Two artists, Anna Conti and Tracy Helgeson, whose blogs I read on a regular basis have talked about framing and cataloging and other un-glamorous aspects of being an artist in the last few weeks. As I was struggling with an enormous box of frames and what seemed like an unbelievable quantity of packing material on my front porch the other day, I couldn't help thinking this is not what people think of when they wish for a more artistic job. I spent most of an afternoon unpacking frames and trying to find a place for them in the house.

I ordered nearly 20 gold leaf frames recently for my paintings, even though I wasn't sure how they'd look with my art. I do paint rather traditional subjects, and these are very traditional frames. But I'm not really a traditional sort of person. But after framing a bunch of paintings, and then spending mother's day with my mom hanging them around the living room (she thought it was fun, really, and she put together a lovely bouquet of native flowers from my garden), I think the gold frames work well. Proof of the pudding will be at my shows later this summer.

3 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

They look great!!!

I think the most unglamorous part of being an artist is packing and shipping!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Thanks Cynthia! I have to agree about packing and shipping.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Shopaholic D said...

I am so with you! when I started my jewelry biz a couple years ago, it was b/c I wanted to make jewelry. But, I've spent the last week working on my blog, my myspace, my PR, my web site, and so many other random things (including packaging) that I haven't even had any time to make any jewelry! Maybe I'll learn how to balance it out better....prolly doesn't help that I have a full time day job :(

I still love the jewelry biz - wouldn't give it up for the world! Plus, I'm really starting to have fun with my blog!

Funny that you posted that this week...I've been thinking along the same lines

:) Diana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home