It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Friday, April 20, 2007

Shady Spot

"Shady Spot" oil on canvas panel, 11x14" [$425+shipping]

I did this painting in roughly the same location as this one, but focused on a different oak tree. I wasn't really happy with it once I got it home, so I did a little color adjustment in the studio. I think this is another example of a painting that really wanted to be larger than it is. I have another large canvas prepped, and I think I'll try using this plein air painting as a study for another studio painting.

Yesterday I went to the local thrift shop to look for more still life props. I can only paint the same set of bowls with different fruits and vegetables so many times, so I was hoping to find some new inspirations. It was oddly depressing looking through all the discarded knick knacks and dishes, but I did find a very nice reflective vase, and a couple of good dishes. I can see that collecting props could be a life long venture. I'm envious of the array of items that Robert Chunn paints in his lovely still life paintings.

I've also gotten notice that I've been accepted to the Los Altos Art and Wine Festival in July. So far I've been accepted to every show I've applied for, which is both gratifying and intimidating. My summer is starting to look very busy.

3 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Another lovely and refreshing to look at scene. Congrats on all the show acceptances. I hope you'll post the dates and locations. I know what you mean about not having enough interesting/attractive still life items...but I guess you have to have lots of space for displaying them, be able to live with lots of clutter, or have plenty of cabinets. The website you linked to is interesting in that he makes clutter look like art.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Thanks Jana! I keep a list of upcoming shows on my website and on the sidebar of this blog. And of course as the shows approach I'll be talking about it more. This summer my partner is working weekends, so I'll be doing most of them on my own, although my Mom has bravely offered to help (thanks Mom!) for a couple weekends.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger r. chunn said...

Thanks for mentioning me, Kris, and congratulations on your acceptance to the art and wine festival.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home