It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Sonoma Coast

"Sonoma Coast" 11x14" oil on panel

After doing this painting on the coast last weekend, I drove up Meyer's Grade Rd and painted this view down the coast towards Bodega Head.

I spent the morning prepping panels. It's a several stage process. First I glue canvas to hardboard panels and stack them under some weight to dry flat. Then I use a PVA size to protect the canvas and finally apply an oil ground. Just another demonstration of the integration of art and biology in this household.

3 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Janette Jones, Studio California said...

Nice job, Kris...your work is beautiful. I am a native from northern California living out of state now and your work makes me homesick! I look forward to your posts...janette

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

I hope it's a good kind of homesickness. Northern California is like some sort of gigantic magnet for me. Every time I tried living on the east coast, it always pulled me right back.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Annie B said...

I love how your art is so rooted in the place where you live. I went to a poetry reading last weekend and what the poets (3) all had in common was that they were poets of place. One guy was from Missouri, another from Holyoke, MA (an old industrial town) and a woman from Boston. Listening to each of them was like being taken on a guided tour of a place I'd never been. Their work was so rich, and I find that same richness in your paintings. I begin to know some of the places you know, I'm reminded of my short time in the Southwest, and I feel your love of the land that you paint. Thanks for the tour!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home