It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Oak Knoll

"Oak Knoll" oil on canvas, 12x24" SOLD

This is a studio painting I did after doing this plein air study. I'm really enjoying the long and skinny format. I think it makes it easier to enter the painting and have a sense of actually being present for some reason, maybe because it engages more of your peripheral vision. I bought a bunch of stretcher bars this afternoon to stretch more paintings in this size. I think they'll be a good size to take outside as well.

And the exciting news of the day is I've consigned some paintings to American Artisans gallery in Nashville. Anne Elkins, the director, found me through Etsy, and I'm really looking forward to working with her. So if you know anyone in Tennessee, point them towards the gallery!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, Blogger Leslie Anne Pease said...

Very nice cool environment. Tree is wonderful as is the shadow beneath.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you developed it very nicely. i saw the first one, this one is rich and deep. makes me homesick.

also, i think your work lends itself to the 'letterbox' or panoramic format.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Thank you both. There must be a lot of displaced Californians, because my paintings seem to evoke a lot of homesickness. Having lived on the east coast for a while, I can absolutely sympathize. There's no place quite like this one.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Sarah Ridgley said...

that's a fabulous painting. I love how peaceful and calming it is.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Annie B said...

Hey, congratulations on the gallery gig! That's wonderful!

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me again - yes, displaced, but still in california and still homesick. return as often as i can, but elsewhere is home now. problem with living elsewhere is that eventually you realize you'd be homesick for the elsewhere if you tried to go back again in time.

your oaks and rolling hills bring back many memories of the familiar. bennet valley road after an light rain was always almost a magical drive for me, the glowing moss, the winding road, the mysterious places.

used to think i'd live and die under one of these great oaks.

no chance you'll one day have prints of this one available on etsy?

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

I wish I could say I like reproductions of paintings, but they always seem really cheesy to me. Most painters seem to heading that route, but I feel there's so much more life in the original - why purchase a reproduction? By the time you pay to frame a reproduction, you might as well have bought a painting, unless of course the artist is inflating the prices of the paintings to make the reproductions look like a bargain.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're right.

just partial to these two paintings at the moment.

i find it hard to part with paintings, so i've only ever thought of selling prints. they do not, however, pay me to store them.

you seem to do well enough though.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

I know what you mean about not liking to part with paintings. But the only way to make more is to have some find new homes. I do hang onto the occasional painting for myself though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home