It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Friday, April 13, 2007

Red Roofs

"Red Roofs" oil on canvas panel, 8x10"

This group of barns is near my house, and I've been wanting to paint it for quite a while.

I drove down to San Francisco the other day to do some gallery hopping. By far and away the most interesting paintings I saw were paintings by Anne Subercaseaux at the Newmark Gallery. According to the little blurb in the gallery, they were inspired by her commute across the Bay Bridge. They have an eerie sense of being familiar and abstract at the same time. Really lovely use of color as well. Anna Conti has a nice article about them, and even a little video from the opening. The folks at the Newmark Gallery were very friendly, and made me feel very welcome, which was a surprisingly uncommon experience walking into most of the galleries downtown. Guess I look too much like an artist and not enough like an art patron.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home