It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Friday, November 03, 2006

Off the easel

"Green Valley Vineyard" 18x36"

I've been working on this painting for several weeks. I started it plein air, working feverishly before the sun set, and finished in the studio. This is about as large as I care to work with outside, and I was amazed how quickly the leaves on the vineyard changed. One week it was an amazing expanse of oranges and golds, and the next week half the leaves were on the ground. I took a quick snapshot of the finished painting the other morning, and didn't notice until this evening what a strong shadow the top of the easel cast on the painting. Oh well...don't pay any attention to the flying saucer landing at the top of the painting.

I'll be doing a show in San Francisco in two weeks, so I need to start thinking about framing and generally getting ready. It will be my first indoor show, and I'm looking forward to not having to worry about being blown away by the wind or struggling with the heat.

4 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a very successful composition and painting to me!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Having attempted vineyards myself, I appreciate this ambitious painting very much. Here in Oregon the grape leaves have changed quickly but not so brilliant this year as yours. Best wishes for a successful indoor exhibit.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

How great about your show. I'd love to come see your paintings in person. Where/when will it be? This painting is fabulous!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

The show will be November 18th and 19th at Fort Mason in San Francisco. Here's a link. It would be great to see any of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home