It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Monday, October 30, 2006

studio work

"San Pablo Fog" 30x40", oil on canvas

Recently I've been wishing for more time in the day. I've been working in the studio on this large studio painting, based on a smaller study and some photographs I took on a walk at the San Pablo Bay wildlife refuge. This painting has taken on a life of its own, departing rather radically from my first ideas about where it should go, and I haven't found the time in the last week to do more small paintings. I'm not sure this one is quite done, but I'm also ready to have it off my easel for a while. Any comments are welcome.

4 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something very fascinating going on in my view in the sky and with the colours just above the horizon. I have a hard time grasping what it is, but I like it!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

There's such a feeling of spaciousness and possibility that I get from this painting. I really like the richness of the light and color in the fog and the way the marshes lead your eye way way into the distance (I almost said future...hmmmm?).

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Thanks for the comments Bart and Jana. I'm particularly happy with the fog in the sky. The photo doesn't really capture the brush texture, and the top of the painting is a little washed out. I struggled for quite some time over whether Mt. Tam should be visible or not. I think I repainted that cloud horizon at least 6 times.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger belindadelpesco.com said...

Beautiful. Atmospheric and peaceful and lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home