It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

recent woodcuts

"Tahoe Night" 19x17" on mulberry paper

I haven't been painting the last couple of days, but have managed to complete a couple of printmaking projects. "Tahoe Night" is a woodcut I've been working on for a couple of weeks. It's a rather large (18x14" image on 19x17" paper) version of an image I've been working with since a camping trip in July. It's for sale at my Etsy shop.

"Waxwing" 5x5" on Rives BFK

The second woodcut is inspired by a flock of waxwings that invaded my backyard last winter and camped out in the maple behind the house. There's a flock that spends the entire winter gorging on the berries in my neighborhood, but they're pretty shy, so I was thrilled to have an opportunity to whip out my camera and get some shots of them. I'm thinking about adding a border to the image, but I need to let it sit for a while.

3 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I've never seen anything like this print of the trees silhouetted against the amazingly blue and sparkly sky. It's really awe-inspiring!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Thanks Jana! I have a smaller print with a similar image that I used to test the process of wiping away the ink for the milky way here
and the first version of theis theme of stars seen through the trees is here. It's been a very productive theme for me!

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Annie B said...

The milky way wipe came out great. This image deserves to be big and grand - it must look gorgeous at the large size.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home