It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Painting under adverse conditions

"Thunderstorm at Donner" 8x10", oil on panel

Today's small painting was an unmitigated disaster, so I'm presenting one of the paintings from my Tahoe trip. I painted this the first night when I was all antsy to start painting. When we first arrived in Truckee, we were greeted with showers of hail, but I took advantage of a lull in the storm to scout out a site and paint. It was cold and windy, but at least it didn't dump on me. Midway through the painting as the clouds started to close in and thunder was rumbling I started questioning my sanity. But the light on the aspens along the pond was fantastic.

3 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger ming said...

this is really nice, love the stillness of it all and the glory of the sun reflected - would have liked to see the disaster though..ther's so much more to be learned from bad paintings!

ming

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

I'm willing to share some paintings that don't work, but that one went straight to the trash heap. My lesson was, don't paint something if the little voice in your head says "I don't want to paint this".

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

You really captured that effect of glowing light. Your painting so inspires me...the images stay with me long after I've seen them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home