It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Friday, August 31, 2007

Preparation

"Heat of the Day" oil on canvas panel, 8x10"

I thought I'd share a little of how I think about putting together my paintings. I have learned that I really need to make a little sketch before I start actually painting. It helps me make decisions about the composition, and it gives me a chance to think about my game plan before I even start mixing paint. This is a page from my painting sketchbook with little thumbnails I did in preparation for the painting above. I don't always do so many sketches, but this one I went through a long process.

1 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

This is both helpful and reassuring to see! To know that someone as experienced, skilled and talented as you still has to do the little sketches in preparation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home