It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Periodic Table project

These are my two linocuts for the Periodic Table Printmaking project. It's being organized by Azure Grackle. Printmakers were asked to pick a element from the periodic table, and make a print. The only restrictions are the size (6x6"), and that the symbol and atomic number had to be present.

I chose Carbon because I was teaching about the carbon cycle at the time the project was announced, and I think global warming and climate change are the big issues of our time. Annie Bisset has also made prints that address the issue of climate change, and it's a difficult topic to encapsulate in a single image. I decided to focus on human impacts - driving, flying and deforestation.


Bohrium is a synthetic element named for Niels Bohr. Having drawn innumerable Bohr diagrams of atoms, the image of a Bohr diagram as a halo came immediately to mind.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Wow! These are sensational, fascinating and beautiful!

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool! What a great project; can't wait to see what the whole thing looks like!

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Red said...

I am an art teacher working in Ankara, Turkey. I just linked to your website because I am using your art work as a reference for my students to look at. If you would like to see the post please visit http://tetrablink.blogspot.com/.
I hope that you do not mind the reference, please let me know if you do. Thank you.

S. Lacoste

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Red,
what a great project! I would love to see the result of your student's work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home