It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Friday, April 27, 2007

Terraces

"Terraces" 18x36", oil on canvas

This is a studio painting based on this plein air painting. The longer format gave me the opportunity to really develop the terraced vineyard behind the oak, and the sense of the hills receding into the distance. The painting initially came together very quickly, and then sat on my easel for a few days while I contemplated the risk of loosing the spontaneity of the first few layers. I did eventually go in and make some adjustments.

2 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger Ed Terpening said...

I missed this painting the other day, really well done. It reads so well--and large. Did you do this plein air? The only question is weather the foreground is light enough in value. Perhaps it's the photograph, or the area is under a cloud?

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

almost willing to sell a car for this one. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home