It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Monday, April 23, 2007

In progress

"Towering Eucalyptus" oil on canvas, 24x24"

I apologize for the photo quality - this is off my easel and the lighting isn't set up for photography. I generally use my scanner for small paintings, but large paintings require a sunny day in the afternoon when I've got the perfect shady photo spot in the back yard. Much easier than setting up the photo lights for shooting indoors. I've been working on this painting for a while now and wanted to share some larger work in progress. I thought it might be done, but looking at it again I'm not entirely sure. What do you think?

When I first started painting landscapes, I was very conscious of not wanting to paint Eucalyptus trees. Eucalyptus trees aren't native to California, and they release compounds that inhibit the growth of any native species that might try to grow near them. So as a botanist, I think of them as noxious weeds. And the fact that I'm allergic to them doesn't help win my affections. But they're pretty ubiquitous around here. They were planted extensively as wind breaks around farms and ranches, and they're very difficult to remove. As I've been painting more barns and agricultural themes, the Eucalyptus have been sneaking in. And I have to admit they have a certain grandeur to them.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Annie B said...

Those are really BIG noxious weeds, aren't they? I love your nerdy botanist commentary. Seriously. I learn a lot.
I like your paintings, too.
I thought this one was done.

Sorry for posting so many comments all in one day, but I couldn't help myself. Please don't think of me as a spammer! I think I've just spent a good half hour or so here on your delicious blog! I feel better now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home