It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Large Plein air landscape paintings

"Clouds Over Sonoma Mountain", oil on canvas, 36" x 18"

I've been having this internal debate about how to approach big paintings. I love painting outside, but returning to the same location with a big painting can be a pain, particularly in the wind. I have had this one canvas kicking around for a few months that I started on a windy day with these great clouds marching across the sky. The difficulty was that the shadows kept moving with the clouds! After having my entire painting rig nearly go head over heels a couple of times, I packed it in. I managed to get back to the location one more time, but it was completely overcast and the light was very different. But I didn't want to give up on it because I really liked the start, and the way I had blocked in the clouds.

Last night I set up a temporary studio up and pulled out my reference photo of the location. I felt a little odd re-working a plein air painting from a photo, but mostly I just adjusted the colors of what I had put down before, and I'm very happy with the final result.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Your work is majestic (even the small pieces) and beautiful. I've seen many of the places you paint before but you add something extra that somehow defines them further, interprets them with clarity and brilliance. Your writing is also fascinating. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and left a comment so that I could find yours. I've added your blog as a link on mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home