It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

more prints



Here's the second of my dinosaur series of block prints. It's not actually a dinosaur, but a marine reptile commonly called a Plesiosaur. These creatures ranged in size from 3 to 12 meters in length, and had amazingly long necks as well as four paddle-shaped limbs.

One of the reasons I started doing these prints is because I felt a sort of kinship with fossil preparators carefully carving away the rock to reveal the specimen. The process of carving to reveal an image really captured my imagination and I was particularly interested in portraying skeletons as they appear on site, rather than the fully articulated and assembled pictures we usually see. This image is more of a compromise, mostly because the neck was so long it had to be curled around to fit on the paper.

I did two different versions of the print, one without a background color, and one with a background that I printed with a rather beat up piece of wood to give some texture. They're available at my Etsy store.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kris,
beautiful stuff! I was perusing Etsy, getting inspiration, looking at everything i could find via a search for `fish skeleton` - [going through a hard-core fossil/fish inspired-bent right now] - found your store and then blog from etsy...love your ideas and prints and the woodcuts. keep on! -friedmandesigns

 

Post a Comment

<< Home