It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Monday, October 08, 2007

Vertical

"Vertical" oil on panel, 8x10"

I've painted this barn before, but in the afternoon. (Look here if you want to see it.) I painted this one in the morning, and I'm really happy with it. Sometimes a painting just seems to come together on its own.

And for those interested in the technical side of painting, this painting is the first test of a new ground for my panels. It's a gesso formulated specifically for priming panels, and it's supposed to be more absorbent than a typical acrylic gesso. I usually adhere canvas to the panels, and then do an oil ground, which is nothing if not a labor of love. I was hoping to find a ground that's a little less labor intensive, but still has some of the properties of an oil ground. So far, I do like the properties of this gesso, although I'd hoped for a slightly more absorptive surface.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Takeyce said...

Very nice composition, Kris.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Kris, the colour, composition of this piece is so successful. It all hangs together so well. Maybe less absorption in the ground will enhance the colour values too?

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Sheila, you may be right. I noticed when I got it home and had it sitting on my contemplation shelf next to other recent paintings that it was brighter somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home