It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Crow Mandala woodblock print

"Crow Mandala" 7.5" image on 10x13" Rives BFK paper. Available at my Etsy store.

This print turned out to be more challenging than I anticipated. The fine details of the feathers at the wingtips were very frustrating. The shina plywood I used kept chipping out in awkward places, leaving some birds without some of their flight feathers. By the third and final block I had a little better handle on how to work around the limitations of the material, but none of the blocks are without some small imperfections.

I started out being inspired by the crows in the neighborhood, but as I started carving I realized that the design owes a lot to all the circling vultures and raptors I saw while birding in Mexico.

4 Comments:

At 2:21 AM, Blogger Nagl said...

That's a cracking image, really striking and sharp. Nice work!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Annie B said...

Nice woodblock print, Kris! Goodness, you've been busy. I know that old shina plywood chipping problem very well. I'm betting that this print taught you some ways to prevent it in the future, though - subtle things like the angle you hold the tool and how deeply you cut up close to the image. I had one really pain-in-the-neck block that I hated every minute carving, but that print was a turning point for me and shina plywood.
I love these birds circling.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Annie, you couldn't be more right about this print being a learning experience. In fact, careful observation reveals the order in which I carved the three blocks - big to little crows.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I love this image. It's got such movement and the shape of the silouhettes is striking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home