It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Apple Slice - painting a day

"Apple Slice" 5x7" oil on canvas panel, available at my Etsy store.

It seemed like a logical progression once I cut the apples in half to keep going and create ever smaller sections. Who knows where this will end? I do feel I really caught the color of the green glaze in this little Japanese dish.

And on the science nerd side of life, I've been reading about color vision in other animals - it turns out some animals, like geckos and hawkmoths can see color in very low light conditions. Almut Kelber has been doing some very creative research determining whether these organisms can see different colors. Humans of course can't see color in low light conditions, so in the moonlight everything looks gray.

5 Comments:

At 5:45 AM, Blogger Annie B said...

I love that you're a science nerd. This must be a hawkmoth. Funny, I was just noticing my own inability to see color at night the other evening as I took my dog for a walk around the block before bed. I noticed that I "saw" color based on my memory of color (eg. "there's the blue house, there's the red house..."), but when I took the time to actually look and just register what I really was seeing, it was all gray. What's most surprising is that I was surprised.

Anyway, I really like the colors in this painting (I *think* I'm seeing them right!). Love the green against the rusty background.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Thanks Annie. Your experience walking the dog and thinking you could see the colors isn't unusual. It's surprising how well your brain fills in the gaps in your visual experience. I wish I could have linked to the original article, but it was subscriber only content at New Scientist. Almut Kelber trained the hawkmoths to feed from different colored containers, and then tested their ability to see those colors in very low light. I like the idea of a lab with all these hawkmoths fluttering around taking sugar water from your hand.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger belindadelpesco.com said...

Very beautiful painting, and really cool nerd-blurb. I do love a nerdly artist. :-)

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I love your apple series. They're all so rich and beautiful.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Kerri Settle said...

I love so many of your paintings, this one included. Great colors!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home