It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pink Lady Apples - painting a day

"Pink Lady Apples" 5x7" SOLD

It was too wet today to paint outside, so I set up a couple of apples in the studio and did a still life. I forgot how gratifying it can be to work with a subject where the light isn't changing every minute.

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you'll know that I find framing work to be fraught with difficult choices. But after playing around in the shop (otherwise known as the garage) last weekend, I put together some frames for the little paintings that I'm really happy with. They're made from reclaimed oak flooring that has some beautiful character, and they seem to complement the paintings without overwhelming them, which is always a delicate balance.

If you're in the SF Bay Area, I hope you'll be stopping by the Serendipity show this weekend at Ft. Mason to see some of these paintings in person. I'll have a number of the small paintings from my painting a day project, as well as woodcuts and larger paintings. In other words, something for everyone.

3 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Your late fall colors captures the mood of the season whether outdoors or indoors. The new framing solution compliments your work perfectly. Using old oak flooring is a classic chic finish enriching your stream lined expression. I am very enthused about your taste.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

I'm glad to hear you like the frames! The flooring came out of my home. When we purchased this house the floors were so damaged we pulled out all the original strip oak flooring and replaced it with bamboo. I kept most of the oak, and have slowly been using it in various projects after running it through the planner. It has wonderful character, and I like that it's finding a new use rather than filling up the landfill.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger m collier said...

I love your painting stye and your color choices. They are bold and rich. Beautiful,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home