It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Transport


I bought a new to me but gently used van last week, and spent the weekend building a plywood platform in the van to transport display panels and artwork to shows. I think it will be much easier to load and unload than my old pickup truck, and there's even room for more artwork! My other big project involved sewing protective fabric sleeves for my small framed prints and paintings. I've been having a problem with the frames getting nicked or damaged in transport, so I bought 6 yards of fuzzy fleece and blew the dust off my sewing machine. I found the fabric for the edges at the bottom of my sewing chest. The result is rather homey I think, and with any luck this will protect all the frames as they go to shows.

Speaking of shows, my next show is at Brentwood, September 30-October 1. Drop by if you're in the SF Bay Area!

3 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Blogger Annie B said...

Picturewarmers! Cool! Very cozy. I feel full of questions. 1) Do you do your own framing? I so don't want to learn how to frame, but I think I should. Any tips, either on DIY or inexpensive ways to have someone else do it? 2) How do you like doing shows? What's the experience like? Congratulations on the new van.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Annie - I like it, I'll have to call them picture cozies now. I do indeed do all my own framing, and it's still the biggest cost of doing shows. The best tip for DIY framing is to make your art in standard sizes so that you can use pre-cut mats and preassembled frames. For my prints, I get mats and backing boards online in quantity, and use frames a local discount frame store.

As for shows - it's mostly been a lot of fun. I like talking to people about art, and it's nice getting instant feedback on my work. There have been some downsides (115F heat in Redding springs to mind), but the key seems to be finding quality shows that attract the demographic that will buy your art, and that takes a mix of experience and research.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger william wray said...

Like the simplicty of this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home