It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Painting a Day

"Caples Lake" 8x10in, oil on panel

I just read an article in USA today about the phenomenon of artists selling paintings directly to the public through their blogs. Of course, the article featured Duane Keiser, who is usually credited for being the first to create a blog that featured a small painting every day. But other artists have followed his model of blogging daily and selling the small paintings on ebay.

There are other benefits to the artists who sell paintings this way, not the least is the discipline to actually get into the studio every day. And the article also mentioned the connection that is made between the artist and the public when artists sell directly rather than through galleries. I certainly have really enjoyed meeting the people who buy my paintings; it's been one of the nicest parts of selling at art fairs this summer. But the irony of this article for me is that while very small paintings are more afordable, the question I'm most often asked is "do you paint larger paintings?" because most of mine are on the small side.

3 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger belindadelpesco.com said...

Hi Kris, I like your work, and I get the same question re: larger paintings. I suppose the answer is clearly Yes. We all do both! Anything to be painting, right? :-)

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Ed Terpening said...

I get that all the time, "why don't you paint larger"? Painting plein air is such a challenge as it is, trying to keep up with the light, avoiding the bugs, grizzley bears and tourists. I've started painting larger now by only buying 11x14 or larger canvas boards. Seems to be working. Glad to hear this is a challenge in common, "misery loves company" ;-)

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger DBP said...

Hi Kris,I like your work also. Keep it up! The small format is nice. I enjoy the mini's. I have seen this trend coming and I have always enjoyed doing small paintings. I agree about outdoor work too. I find it sometimes is necessary to work small in changeable weather conditions.
This summer I have been working larger than ever though-up to 20 x 24 in fact. It takes getting used to but I love it. Dennis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home