It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Friday, August 18, 2006

Painting explosion

"Hope Valley", 11x14 in., oil on panel

I just got back from a painting expedition to the Sierra Nevada, and one of the places I stumbled upon to paint was Hope Valley - a vast expanse on the east side of Carson Pass, just south of Lake Tahoe. I have a special fondness for that high elevation sage scrub habitat and did three paintings in the course of the afternoon. While I was setting up to paint this picture, "Hope Valley", I noticed a large bird circling in the distance. It eventually flew right above me, a juvenile golden eagle. All in all, a very satisfying painting day.

2 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Ed Terpening said...

Nice color. I love the Sierras as well. One of my favoriate spots, particularly on the Fall, is Blackwood Canyon--just outside Tahoe City. The turning Aspens are inspiring!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Thanks for the suggestion Ed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home