It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Aspen grove

"Aspen Grove" 8x10 in, oil on panel

This is one of the paintings I did on my marathon painting day last week. This was the last painting of the bunch and I started it knowing that I was really tired. I usually stand up to paint so that I can step back easily and see if things are working or not, but for this painting I sat on a wide flat granite boulder and set my easel down low. I wasn't able to step back at all, and at some point I stopped to look at the painting as a whole and thought "this is a mess", but I got up and looked at it from distance (all of 4 feet that I had available to me), and the elements of the painting all snapped into place. Amazing. I'm really happy with the reflected light on the trunks of the aspens. I really want to find more aspen groves to paint this fall.

1 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Blogger Jana Bouc said...

The light in this painting is so well painted and so interesting. The color in the sky and the reflections are just amazing. And you did this all plein air...wow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home