It's about the art

This blog has moved - please visit my new home at www.shanksart.com/blog

Monday, September 04, 2006

crop circles


I did a lot of flying across the country this past weekend, and spent most of the time with my nose pressed to the window. I regreted not bringing my digital camera, because I loved the pattern of the clouds and their cast shadows on the landscape. I was interested to see the euclidian geometry of agriculture laid over the template of rivers and mountains, particularly the circular green fields in the deserts of Utah and Nevada. I remember flying as a kid and thinking that there wasn't anyplace in the country where you didn't see a road of some kind, even in places that looked like they were in the middle of nowhere. And this time I was thinking more about water resources, and how the availability of water affects where people live and grow food. But I was also thinking about how I could incorporate a view from above into my art that is so rooted in a view from eye level.

2 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Annie B said...

Hi Kris,

You fly like I do, with your nose pressed to the window! Interesting that you bring this up; I'm contemplating a new print that uses a maplike view as a starting point. I'll be interested to see how this filters into your work.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Kris Shanks said...

Hi Annie, I'm not surprised you like looking out of the window, seeing that you do so much map work as an illustrator. It's interesting to fly over an area you know and try and pick out landmarks without the identifying labels and lines of a map. It's a reminder of how arbitrary some boundries are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home